Tuesday, May 31, 2022

The Beginning - Jess Mastorakos (Jess Mastorakos - Apr 2022)

Series: Brides of Beaufort (Book .5)

Asking the gorgeous and alluring florist to be my plus-one to tonight’s wedding should have been weird, but instead, it was as natural as breathing. And to my shock, she said yes.
 
But I can't get my hopes up that it will go anywhere. Hattie has no interest in dating a Marine. She’s trying to save her family’s struggling flower shop, and she knows I’m only a temporary fixture in this town.
 
So, we only have tonight. After that, we’ll go our separate ways, each of us thankful for a fun evening.
 
It shouldn’t be too hard. After all, we don’t even know each other. It should be no problem to walk away and pretend my heart hadn’t recognized hers the moment we’d met. Besides, love at first sight is just for the movies, right?

 
Sweet story. The cover of this one caught my eye because of the Marine. I have a soft spot for Marines, having been married to mine for thirty-nine years. This book had me hooked right from the beginning.
 
I loved how Thatcher and Hattie met. Thatcher is being a good son and helping his mom deliver some stuff to a friend's wedding (which they are invited to attend). Thatcher is a bit bummed because his date for the wedding bailed on him. While helping his mom, the florist arrives with the wedding flowers. Thatcher is rendered nearly speechless by her beauty and her smile but pulls himself together enough to offer to help her. Thatcher is shy and frequently stumbles over his words, and I loved seeing him try to ask Hattie to go to the wedding with him.
 
Hattie is sweet, beautiful, and devoted to her parents and their florist business. That business is struggling, and the long hours she spends there have scuttled several relationships. I liked how well she and Thatcher connected while doing the flowers. She was surprised by his invitation to attend the wedding with him but looked forward to it. Something changed later that evening when she found out he was a Marine. She doesn't date Marines because they leave after a couple of years, and she can't/won't go with them. She doesn't want to invest in a relationship and end up alone again.
 
Thatcher is naturally bummed when he finds out but doesn't want to give her up. Instead, he proposes that they be friends. As a firefighter on the Marine base, Thatcher's schedule is irregular. So on his days off, he shows up at the flower shop and offers to help. This gives him lots of time to spend with Hattie. After several weeks of this, it's evident that there is more there than friendship. But the knowledge that he will eventually be transferred and that Hattie won't leave her parents is a stumbling block to their future.
 
I loved how a chance conversation during a flower delivery gave Thatcher an option he'd never considered before meeting Hattie. He doesn't make quick decisions but takes the time to talk to people and consider the ramifications. I ached for him when he presented the idea to Hattie, and she didn't react the way he'd hoped. I understood her fears but felt like she didn't give Thatcher enough credit for knowing his own mind. The discussion with her parents was realistic and honest and gave her a new perspective. The ending was sweet, and the thirty-years-later epilogue was fantastic.
 
I enjoyed this story so much that I have added this author to my "must-read" list.


No comments:

Post a Comment